There is one thing that everyone can agree on, which is Football fever also means tailgate time. Here’s another tailgate food recipe that you can try.
Baked Sweet Potato Chips with Blue Cheese Sauce, Bacon and Green Onion
- 1 pound yams, sliced thin on a mandolin
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ cup hot milk
- 4 ounces gorgonzola, divided
- 3 green onions, sliced thin
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss yams with canola oil, ½ teaspoon salt, garlic powder and onion powder. Place two cooling racks on top of two cookie sheets. Spray with non-stick spray. Place yams on cooling rack in one even layer, making sure they aren’t touching. If they are too close together they will steam instead of crisp up. Bake for about 10 minutes until the chips start to curl up on the edges. Watch carefully as they burn easily. Turn the oven off and let them sit for 25-30 minutes.
- While the yams are cooking, make the blue cheese sauce. In a small skillet, melt butter over a medium heat, whisk in flour. Cook one minute. Turn the heat off and very slowly whisk in milk, making sure there are no lumps. Bring to a simmer, and cook until thickened 1-2 minutes. Crumble in half of the blue cheese. Whisk until incorporated. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Build chips. Place half of chips on serving platter. Drizzle with some of the blue cheese sauce. Place other half of chips on top, and drizzle with more blue cheese sauce. Sprinkle with bacon, green onions and remaining blue cheese.
- Use remaining sauce to dip chips if desired. (via cookingforkeeps.com)